St Joseph’s has a Defence Force Transition Aide (DFTA) on staff. This staff member works with Defence Force children and their families when moving in and out of the school, gives support to those families that have a parent deployed along with being a support person for all of our Defence force families whilst enrolled at our school.
The DFTA works regularly with the children, their families and HMAS Cerberus to ensure connectedness and support for all of our Defence Force families.
We offer a range of programs and activities aimed at Defence Force children and their families such as:
- Morning teas so new families can get to know other families, special occasion celebrations such as small parties for friends to welcome or farewell a friend.
- Defence Force breakfasts at school once a term for families.
- Welcome and farewell books.
- If a child has a parent deployed the DFTA will help students send emails from school telling their parent how they are going and send some photos so the deployed parent can feel they are still involved in their child’s learning.
- Make connections between HMAS Cerberus and our school community.
- Individual aide time to Defence Force students who may need additional assistance with their learning.
- Lunch time activities.
If you require any further information, you can contact the DFTA at school on (03) 5983 9374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org